407 - 04/05 - Compulsory Insurance - Georgia
The Club has just been made aware of the following information received by way of circular issued by the Maritime Transport Administration of Georgia.
“From April 01 2005, the ship owner of a vessel at any port of Georgia must fulfil the following requirements:
A) Compulsory Insurance
- Applicable to all foreign vessels over 500 gross tonnes
- Cover to include bunker oil removal and shipwreck removal, and the insurance cover must be equal to the sum of the limit of liability (including personal claim) for bunker oil pollution and (other than personal claim) for shipwreck removal.
B) Carrying a relevant certificate onboard
· When vessels are visiting a port of Georgia, the certificate of insurance must be carried onboard.
· Alternatively, the certificate of entry issued by designated insurers from P&I Clubs belonging to the International Group of P&I Clubs will be accepted.
C) Report of the status of insurance
· The master of the vessel or agent in Georgia is required to report to the harbour Master the status of insurance and identification information of the vessel prior to entry in to ports.
· Vessels will be subject to inspection and ship-owners will be penalised and vessel liable for detention should the master of a vessel fail to comply with regulations.
E) Liability rule
· Liability rule on bunker oil pollution damage includes strict or joint liability on the ship-owner and charterer”.
UK P&I Club contact:
Source of information:
Loss Prevention Department
UK P&I Club
Legal, navigational and environmental resources, news and updates on the development of polar shipping. Read more
US VRP Compliance
With effect from 30th January 2014 non-tank as well as tankships calling at US ports will be required to submit VRPs. For Club and other resources to assist in compliance click here
International Environmental compliance
Environmental Compliance resource page collates material in respect of International environmental compliance issues affecting our Members. Information from the Club, Loss Prevention and external resources has been collated in one place for ease of reference.
The Maritime Labour Convention enters into force in August 2013 - resources, news & advice on implementation can be found in this dedicated section. READ MORE
Essential precautions and preparation against piracy, as well as additional information and resources, loss prevention advisories and useful external web links