439 - 11/05 - Avian Influenza Health Advice - Hong Kong SAR
Following the outbreak of Avian Influenza (H5N1) in Asia and Europe, the Hong Kong Marine Department have issued health advice for ship masters, persons-in-charge of vessels and crew.
Marine Department Notice No. 174 of 2005 lists Department of healthcare advice as follows:
· Avoid direct contact with birds and poultry
· Wash hands thoroughly with liquid soap and water immediately after contact with live poultry, birds or their droppings
· Cook poultry and eggs thoroughly before eating
· Cover nose and mouth while sneezing or coughing. Dispose of sputum or secretion wrapped in tissue paper into a rubbish bin with a lid. Wash hands with liquid soap and water afterwards
· Build up good body resistance and maintain a healthy lifestyle
· Maintain good environmental hygiene and good ventilation
· If symptoms of respiratory infection exist, wear a face mask and consult a doctor promptly.
The initial symptoms of avian flu are similar to those of other influenza viruses, including fever. Those symptoms include generalised muscle pain, a cough and sore throat. Symptoms are likely to result in high fever, chest infection, respiratory failure, multi-organ failure, and death.
More information may be obtained from the following websites: The Centre for Health Protection www.chp.gov.hk and Department of Health www.travelhealth.gov.hk. Alternatively, call the 24 hour pre-recorded Health Education hotline +852 2833 0111.
Source of information:
The Government of the Hong Kong SAR
Marine Department Notice No. 174 of 2005 www.mardep.gov.hk
Legal, navigational and environmental resources, news and updates on the development of polar shipping. Read more
US VRP Compliance
With effect from 30th January 2014 non-tank as well as tankships calling at US ports will be required to submit VRPs. For Club and other resources to assist in compliance click here
International Environmental compliance
Environmental Compliance resource page collates material in respect of International environmental compliance issues affecting our Members. Information from the Club, Loss Prevention and external resources has been collated in one place for ease of reference.
The Maritime Labour Convention enters into force in August 2013 - resources, news & advice on implementation can be found in this dedicated section. READ MORE
Essential precautions and preparation against piracy, as well as additional information and resources, loss prevention advisories and useful external web links