901 - 07/13 - Update to MARPOL Annex V - Worldwide
Following Bulletin 889, the IMO has released a Circular which provides dispensation for discharging wash water containing HME.
The IMO Circular, MEPC.1 Circ. 810, provides dispensation for ships to discharge cargo wash water and residues which contain materials classed as Harmful to the Marine Environment (HME) until 31 December 2015 where Adequate Port Reception Facilities are deemed to be inadequate.
The Circular lists the criteria in which discharges may be permitted:
1) Based upon the information received from the relevant port authorities, the master determines that there are no adequate reception facilities either at the receiving terminal or at the next port of call;
2) The ship is en route and as far as practicable from the nearest land, but not less than 12 nautical miles;
3) Before washing, solid bulk cargo residue is removed (and bagged for discharge ashore) as far as practicable and holds are swept;
4) Filters are used in the bilge wells to collect any remaining solid particles and minimize solid residue discharge; and
5) The discharge is recorded in the Garbage Record Book and the flag State is notified utilizing the Revised Consolidated Format for Reporting Alleged Inadequacies of Port Reception Facilities (MEPC.1/Circ.469/Rev.2).
The circular also urges ports and facilities to provide adequate reception facilities.
The Circular, in full, can be found here
Source of Information:
Loss Prevention Department
UK P&I Club
Legal, navigational and environmental resources, news and updates on the development of polar shipping. Read more
US VRP Compliance
With effect from 30th January 2014 non-tank as well as tankships calling at US ports will be required to submit VRPs. For Club and other resources to assist in compliance click here
International Environmental compliance
Environmental Compliance resource page collates material in respect of International environmental compliance issues affecting our Members. Information from the Club, Loss Prevention and external resources has been collated in one place for ease of reference.
The Maritime Labour Convention enters into force in August 2013 - resources, news & advice on implementation can be found in this dedicated section. READ MORE
Essential precautions and preparation against piracy, as well as additional information and resources, loss prevention advisories and useful external web links