Directors Report & Financial Statements for the year ended 20th February 2013
This year the Club has produced a surplus of $9.5 million, increasing the free reserves and hybrid capital to a new high of $494 million. Underpinning this result was a respectable underwriting performance in the face of mounting claims costs, and an investment return of 3.7%, equivalent to $39.6 million. Overall this was a good outcome, but it does not allow for complacency. The increased claims on the 2012 policy year are a warning that, despite weak global economic growth, claims inflation, particularly in the higher value claims, continues to be present. It is therefore essential to maintain a disciplined approach to underwriting in the coming years to achieve the target of a balanced underwriting result over the claims cycle.
Surplus of $9.5m for this year increasing free reserves and hybrid capital to a new high of $494m.
- Free reserves and hybrid capital increased from $486m to $494m
- Free reserves and hybrid capital of $4.11 per gross ton
- S&P rating: A- Positive outlook
- 2012 claims above $0.5m significantly higher than 2011
- Attritional claims frequency remains low,but claims values drifting higher
- Overall 2012 a more normal year,compared to exceptionally good 2011
- Pool credit balance significantly in excess of $100m
- Last three financial years combined ratio averaged 100%
- 2012/13 financial year combined ratio – 104%
- Underwriting discipline maintained
- Investment return of $39.6m for 2012/13
- 3.7% return
- Conservative asset allocation
- Significantly reduced over last four policy years due to weakened state of shipping market
- Frequency down for all classes of claim
- Anticipated to increase when shipping markets recover
The print run of our Report & Accounts has been reduced to save Club expenses. We now provide all our Members and their brokers with a reference copy upon request. The Report & Accounts is also free to download from the website. Please call your usual Club contact if you require further copies.
Legal, navigational and environmental resources, news and updates on the development of polar shipping. Read more
US VRP Compliance
With effect from 30th January 2014 non-tank as well as tankships calling at US ports will be required to submit VRPs. For Club and other resources to assist in compliance click here
International Environmental compliance
Environmental Compliance resource page collates material in respect of International environmental compliance issues affecting our Members. Information from the Club, Loss Prevention and external resources has been collated in one place for ease of reference.
The Maritime Labour Convention enters into force in August 2013 - resources, news & advice on implementation can be found in this dedicated section. READ MORE
Essential precautions and preparation against piracy, as well as additional information and resources, loss prevention advisories and useful external web links