Legal aspects of Arctic shipping - Summary report
- Date: 31/03/2014
- Source: © European Union, 2010
The main purpose of this Study is to examine the international legal regime that applies to the Arctic marine area in terms of shipping and related activities. The Study:
• provides an overview of the international law of the sea, its main features and maritime zones in the context of the Arctic marine area;
• discusses the international legal regime for the regulation of marine shipping;
• analyzes the national laws and regulations of the coastal Arctic States (Canada, Greenland (Denmark), Iceland, Norway, the Russian Federation and the United States of America); and
• draws conclusions and examines options for multilateral reform and consultation.
Legal, navigational and environmental resources, news and updates on the development of polar shipping. Read more
US VRP Compliance
With effect from 30th January 2014 non-tank as well as tankships calling at US ports will be required to submit VRPs. For Club and other resources to assist in compliance click here
International Environmental compliance
Environmental Compliance resource page collates material in respect of International environmental compliance issues affecting our Members. Information from the Club, Loss Prevention and external resources has been collated in one place for ease of reference.
The Maritime Labour Convention enters into force in August 2013 - resources, news & advice on implementation can be found in this dedicated section. READ MORE
Essential precautions and preparation against piracy, as well as additional information and resources, loss prevention advisories and useful external web links