Chief Legal Officer
T: +44 20 7204 2157
M: +44 7776 483182
After completing her master and Ph.D in law in Paris University (Sorbonne), Dr WU Chao joined Thomas Miller P&I Ltd (UK P&I Club) in 1994. Holding the position of Chief Legal Officer, she is responsible for the Club's general legal advice, legal aspects of cover for Members' contractual arrangements, the legal aspects of P&I Club documentation, and the Rules and Bye-Laws of the Club, as well as the Pooling Agreement and the legal aspects of the Club’s reinsurance contracts.
Chao has been a member of the Senior Management Team since 2003 and represents the UK Club on various subcommittees and working groups of the International Group, including those on Pooling Agreement, Pollution, P&I War Risks, Confirmation of Entry, IOPC Fund and Pro-rating, and others. Chao has chaired the IG Pooling Agreement Subcommittee since 2009, and the Co-Assured subcommittee since 2017.
Chao has been a frequent speaker at conferences and seminars worldwide over the past 22 years, and is the author of many publications, including two books for which she was awarded prizes by the British Insurance Law Association, UK and by the Institut Economique du Droit de la Mer, Monaco. She is also a recognized authority on international marine pollution liability law, and formerly worked for Thomas Miller (Americas), where she also became an authority on US environmental law.
- Joined Thomas Miller in 1994 as a claims handler
- VP of Thomas Miller (Americas) 1997 – 2002
- Legal Director since 2003
- Member of the US Maritime Law Association
- Former member of the Societe Francaise du Droit International
- Professional qualification: Lawyer
- Languages spoken: Mandarin, French and English
- Pollution law; shipping law
- US OPA
- French civil law
- Chinese Maritime Code
- Club Rules
- Charterer's cover
- Offshore cover
- Pooling Agreement (Chairman of the International Group Pooling Agreement Sub-Committee)
- Reinsurance contracts
- Shipping contracts (owners, charterers)
- ITOPF - Director