Dr Chao Wu
Dr WU Chao has a Ph.D in law from Paris University (Sorbonne). As Legal director for Thomas Miller P&I Ltd (UK P&I Club), she is responsible for giving general legal advice, legal aspects of cover for Members' contractual arrangements, the legal aspects of P&I Club documentation, and the Rules and Bye-Laws of the Club, as well as the legal aspects of the Pooling Agreement and of Club’s reinsurance contracts.
Chao is part of the Senior Management Team and represents the UK Club on various subcommittees and working groups of the International Group, including those on Pooling Agreement, Pollution, P&I War Risks, Confirmation of Entry, IOPC Fund and Pro-rating, and others. Chao has been the chairperson of the IG Pooling Agreement Subcommittee since 2009.
Chao has been a frequent speaker at conferences and seminars worldwide over the past 22 years, and is the author of many publications, including two books for which she was awarded prizes by the British Insurance Law Association, UK and by the Institut Economique du Droit de la Mer, Monaco. She is also a recognized authority on international marine environmental law, and formerly worked for Thomas Miller (Americas), where she also became an authority on US environmental law.
- Joined Thomas Miller in 1994 as a claims handler
- VP of Thomas Miller (Americas) 1997 – 2002
- Legal Director since 2003
- Member of the US Maritime Law Association
- Former member of the Societe Francaise du Droit International
- Professional qualification: lawyer
- Languages spoken: Mandarin, French and English
- International marine pollution law
French civil law
Pooling Agreement (Chairman of the International Group Pooling Agreement Sub-Committee)
ITOPF - Director