- Insurance Cover
- Knowledge & Publications
- Loss Prevention
- About Us
Dr Chao Wu
Dr WU Chao has a PH. D in law from Paris University (Sorbonne). She is based in London as Legal director for Thomas Miller P&I Ltd (UK P&I Club), where she is responsible for giving general legal advice, the legal aspects of P&I Club documentation, legal aspects of cover for Members' contractual arrangements, and the Rules and Bye-Laws of the Club.
She is a recognized authority on international marine pollution law, and formerly worked for Thomas Miller (Americas), where she also became an authority on US environmental law.
She currently represents the UK Club on various subcommittees and working groups of the International group of P&I Clubs, including those on Pooling Agreement (Chairman), Pollution, P&I War Risks, Confirmation of Entry, IOPC Fund and Pro-rating, and others.
Chao has been an invited speaker at numerous conferences and seminars worldwide over the past 22 years, and is the author of many publications, including two books for which she was awarded prizes by the British Insurance Law Association and by the Institut Economique du Droit de la Mer, Monaco.
- Joined Thomas Miller in 1994 as a claims handler
- VP of Thomas Miller (Americas) 1997 – 2002
- Legal Director since 2003
- Member of the US Maritime Law Association
- Former member of the Societe Francaise du Droit International
- Professional qualification: lawyer
- Languages spoken: Mandarin, French and English
- International marine pollution law
French civil law
Pooling Agreement (Chairman of the International Group Pooling Agreement Sub-Committee)
ITOPF - Director