- Insurance Cover
- Knowledge & Publications
- Loss Prevention
- About Us
453 - 02/06 - New Pollution Fines - Turkey
From 1st January 2006 the level of fines imposed by the Ministry of the Environment in Turkey for pollution are:
a). Dirty ballast discharged by tankers:
1. Up to and including 1,000 GRT – Turkish Lire 7,850 (approx US$5,960)
2. Between 1,000-5,000 (inclusive) GRT – Turkish Lire 15,701 (approx US$11,921)
3. Over 5,000 GRT – Turkish Lire 78,507 (approx US$59,610).
b). Any pollutant in liquid or solid form discharged from any ship including tankers and dirty ballast from ships other than tankers:
1. Up to 18 GRT (excluding) – Turkish Lire 471 (approx US$357)
2. From 18 GRT (inclusive) and 1,000 GRT (inclusive) – Turkish Lire 7,850 (approx US$5,960)
3. Above 1,000 GRT - Turkish Lire 15,701 (approx US$11,921).
Approximate US dollar equivalence based on currency exchange rate 01 January 2006
(1 USD = 1,3170 YTL).
Article 23 - In case of reoccurrence of the acts stated in the articles 20,21,22 (of the Turkish Environment Code No: 2872) penalties are charged one time more the original penalty for these acts.
Although there is no time limitation stated in the article and/or any other form of Laws/regulations, the Authority in practice applies a 5 year period for repeated pollution offences.
Source of information: VITSAN A.S.
Tel: +90 212 252 06 00