The Office of Spill Prevention and Response (OSPR) of the California Department of Fish and Wildlife (DFW) have issued a Letter to all oil spill response plan holders advising that unannounced drills are to be conducted to test plan holders’ notification process and the initial response actions by their Spill Management Team (In-house or contracted).
These unannounced exercises will focus on the ability of the SMT to respond to an incident as outlined in the vessel’s California Oil Spill Contingency Plan.
Details of drills are as follows:
- The drill will be initiated by a CA OSPR Drill Coordinator who will board the ship and create a scenario requiring the SMT to be notified and activated.
- The Master will need to notify their QI via the 24 hour number and relay the details of the drill scenario, along with the contact name and number of the CA OSPR Drill Coordinator.
- The QI will make all notifications and activate/mobilize the SMT personnel as required.
- SMT personnel will mobilize on scene and respond to the scenario to complete the required CA OSPR objectives. No equipment will be deployed.
- Exercises may last up to 8 hours.
- All costs (except CA OSPR and USCG) for participation shall be the responsibility of the Planholder.
The full Objectives & Guidelines, issued by the OSPR can be found here
Source of Information:
California Department of Fish and Wildlife (DFW)
If you need to call our offices out of hours and at weekends, click After Office hours for a up to date list of the names of the Duty Executives and their mobile phone numbers.
This Ship Finder is updated on a daily basis. Members who need to advise the Club of updates to their recorded ships' details should advise their usual underwriting contact.
You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.