- Insurance Cover
- Knowledge & Publications
- Loss Prevention
- About Us
Directors Report & Financial Statements for the year ended 20th February 2013
This year the Club has produced a surplus of $9.5 million, increasing the free reserves and hybrid capital to a new high of $494 million. Underpinning this result was a respectable underwriting performance in the face of mounting claims costs, and an investment return of 3.7%, equivalent to $39.6 million. Overall this was a good outcome, but it does not allow for complacency. The increased claims on the 2012 policy year are a warning that, despite weak global economic growth, claims inflation, particularly in the higher value claims, continues to be present. It is therefore essential to maintain a disciplined approach to underwriting in the coming years to achieve the target of a balanced underwriting result over the claims cycle.
Surplus of $9.5m for this year increasing free reserves and hybrid capital to a new high of $494m.
- Free reserves and hybrid capital increased from $486m to $494m
- Free reserves and hybrid capital of $4.11 per gross ton
- S&P rating: A- Positive outlook
- 2012 claims above $0.5m significantly higher than 2011
- Attritional claims frequency remains low,but claims values drifting higher
- Overall 2012 a more normal year,compared to exceptionally good 2011
- Pool credit balance significantly in excess of $100m
- Last three financial years combined ratio averaged 100%
- 2012/13 financial year combined ratio – 104%
- Underwriting discipline maintained
- Investment return of $39.6m for 2012/13
- 3.7% return
- Conservative asset allocation
- Significantly reduced over last four policy years due to weakened state of shipping market
- Frequency down for all classes of claim
- Anticipated to increase when shipping markets recover
The print run of our Report & Accounts has been reduced to save Club expenses. We now provide all our Members and their brokers with a reference copy upon request. The Report & Accounts is also free to download from the website. Please call your usual Club contact if you require further copies.