1114 - 10/16 - Update - Wet Nickel Ore Cargo, Surigao - Philippines
The bulk of the cargo is loaded in the Southern region of the Philippines in Mindanao. The loading areas are private enterprises. Currently the shippers/mines are not allowing any access to their facilities.
It is difficult for foreign experts to currently travel to the area as most Embassies have strict travel warnings about going to the region. There are numerous terrorist groups and due to bombings and kidnappings one sadly resulting in a Canadian Manager of a mine being beheaded. Philippine military forces are at war with several fractions. You may refer to your own Embassy website the link to the UK FCO is:https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/philippines
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all travel to south-west Mindanao and the Sulu archipelago because of on-going terrorist activity and clashes between the military and insurgent groups. The FCO advise against all but essential travel to the remainder of Mindanao for the same reasons.
A bomb attack on a market in Davao City, Mindanao, killed more than a dozen people on 2 September 2016. The FCO already advise against all but essential travel to eastern Mindanao, including Davao City, and against all travel to the rest of Mindanao.
The Philippines government has declared a "state of national emergency on account of lawless violence in Mindanao". Expect heightened security measures including in airports and other major transport hubs. You should co-operate with the Philippine authorities and allow extra time to pass through security.
There are further significant issues, related to the fact that the Philippine Government is suspending export licences for the mines due to environmental issues. The government recently issued the following statement:
"We have had mining in this country for over a hundred years and until now we don't even have one rehabilitated mine. Just gaping holes, destroyed rivers, children with brain disease".
The government authorities that oversee mining operations are:
MGB - Mines and Geosciences Bureau
DENR - Department of the Environment and Natural Resources.
The DENR has released a list of mines facing suspension:
· Libjo Mining Corporation
· AAM-Phil Natural Resources Exploration and Development Corporation - Parcel 1 and Parcel 2B
· Krominco Incorporated
· Carrascal Nickel Corporation
· Marcventures Mining and Development Corporation
· Filminera Resources Corporation
· Strongbuilt Mining Development Corporation
· Sinosteel Philippines HY Mining Corporation
· Oriental Synergy Mining Corporation
· Wellex Mining Corporation
· Century Peak Corporation - Rapid City Nickel Project and Casiguran Nickel Project
· Oriental Vision Mining Philippines Corporation
· CTP Construction and Mining Corporation
· Agata Mining Ventures Incorporated
· Hinatuan Mining Corporation
· Benguet Corporation
· Lepanto Consolidated Mining Company
· OceanaGold Phils, Incorporated
· Adnama Mining Resources, Incorporated
· SR Metals, Incorporated
Also there are eleven mining firms which are not recommended for suspension, but will continue to be monitored. They are:
· Philex Mining Corporation
· Rio Tuba Nickel Mining Corporation
· Atlas Consolidated Mining and Development Corporation
· Techiron Resources Incorporated
· Cagdianao Mining Corporation
· Taganito Mining Corporation
· Platinum Group Metals Corporation
· Greenstone Resources Corporation
· Philsaga Mining Corporation
· Pacific Nickel Philippines, Incorporated
· Apex Mining Company Incorporated
One vessel we are currently attending has already been affected by these issues:http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/822187/ship-stopped-from-loading-ore
The circular from our correspondents is attached.Source of Information
Pandiman Philippines Inc.