MARAD Advisory 2011-03: Update to vessels transiting to or from Japan or in waters in the vicinity of Honshu
- Date: 10/06/2011
Link to original document: http://www.marad.dot.gov/news_room_landing_page/maritime_advisories/advisory/advisory2011-03.htm
Advisory #: 2011-03
Date Issued: Jun 07 2011
Subject: UPDATE TO VESSELS TRANSITING TO OR FROM JAPAN OR IN WATERS IN THE VICINITY OF HONSHU
1. THIS MARAD ADVISORY UPDATES GUIDANCE TO VESSELS TRANSITING TO OR FROM PORTS IN JAPAN OR IN WATERS IN THE VICINITY OF THE NORTHEAST COAST OF THE ISLAND OF HONSHU AND CANCELS ADVISORY 2011-02.
2. U.S.-FLAG OPERATORS WITH SHIPS IN THE AFFECTED AREAS ARE REQUESTED TO FORWARD THIS ADVISORY TO THEIR SHIPS BY THE MOST EXPEDITIOUS MEANS.
3. MARINERS ARE ADVISED TO CONTINUE TO MONITOR AND COMPLY WITH NAVTEX AND NAVAREA XI WARNINGS ISSUED FOR JAPANESE WATERS.
4. OPERATORS AND MARINERS ARE ALSO ADVISED TO REVIEW AND FOLLOW THE RADIOLOGICAL INFORMATION ON PORTS AND MARITIME TRANSPORTATION PROVIDED ON THE GOVERNMENT OF JAPAN’S (GOJ) MINISTRY OF LAND, INFRASTRUCTURE, TRANSPORT, AND TOURISM (MLIT) WEBSITE: HTTP://WWW.MLIT.GO.JP/EN/MARITIME/MARITIME_FR1_000007.HTML. MARINERS SHOULD KEEP ABREAST OF INFORMATION BEING PROVIDED BY THE GOVERNMENT OF JAPAN RELATING TO ANY FURTHER POTENTIAL IMPACTS.
5. VESSELS THAT ENTER INTO THE JAPANESE DEFINED "RESTRICED AREA" MAY BE SUBJECT TO ADDITIONAL SCREENING BY THE USCG IF THE U.S. IS THEIR FIRST PORT CALL AFTER DEPARTING THE RESTRICTED AREA. THE U.S. COAST GUARD REQUIRES THE VESSEL'S MASTER TO SUBMIT TRANSIT INFORMATION, INCLUDING THE DATE AND TOTAL TIME WITHIN THE PRECAUTIONARY AREA, TO THE COGNIZANT U.S. COAST GUARD CAPTAIN OF THE PORT USING THE COMMENT BLOCK ON THE 96-HOUR ADVANCED NOTICE OF ARRIVAL.
6.THIS ADVISORY WILL BE PUBLISHED ON THE MARAD WEB SITE AT WWW.MARAD.DOT.GOV UNDER THE NEWSROOM TAB.
7. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION REGARDING THIS ADVISORY, CONTACT CAPTAIN ROBERT FORD, MARITIME ADMINISTRATION, OFFICE OF SECURITY, CODE: MAR-420, ROOM W25-308, 1200 NEW JERSEY AVE, S.E., WASHINGTON, DC 20590, TELEPHONE 202-366-0223, FACSIMILE 202-366-3954, TLX II 710.822.9426 (MARAD DOT WSH), OR EMAIL: MARADSECURITY@DOT.GOV.
8. CANCEL ADVISORY 2011-02*.
*Advisory #: 2011-02
Date Issued: Mar 18 2011
Subject: VESSELS TRANSITING TO OR FROM JAPAN OR IN WATERS IN THE VICINITY
Legal, navigational and environmental resources, news and updates on the development of polar shipping. Read more
US VRP Compliance
With effect from 30th January 2014 non-tank as well as tankships calling at US ports will be required to submit VRPs. For Club and other resources to assist in compliance click here
International Environmental compliance
Environmental Compliance resource page collates material in respect of International environmental compliance issues affecting our Members. Information from the Club, Loss Prevention and external resources has been collated in one place for ease of reference.
The Maritime Labour Convention enters into force in August 2013 - resources, news & advice on implementation can be found in this dedicated section. READ MORE
Essential precautions and preparation against piracy, as well as additional information and resources, loss prevention advisories and useful external web links