...maintaining Members’ confidence they are sharing their risks and premiums with others of similar quality.
The UK P&I Club retains 5 ex Masters and 2 Chief Engineers as their Risk Assessors. Collectively the Risk Assessors have over 200 years’ experience at sea in all commercial hull types and have a worldwide presence based in Rotterdam, Piraeus, Singapore, China and Mississippi. The service offered by the Club is voluntary from the Member who agrees to allow 10% of their Fleet be visited every 2 years. Once aboard the Risk Assessors will spend a maximum of 4 hours (one watch) conducting an assessment of liability risks tailored to the individual vessel based on her claims profile history they will also spend time discussing the current Loss Prevention material available from the Club which is designed to help Members reduce claims.
- Encourage membership quality
- Identify sub-standard ships
- Encourage higher standards
- Monitor the operation of entered ships
- Promote loss prevention
- Educate the Club in current problems faced by those at the sharp end.
- Collating and sharing the good practices observed from ships across one of the largest P&I clubs in the world.
- Suggest better maintenance and operational practices
- Improve risk awareness and encourage risk management practices on board
- Improve the master and crew’s knowledge and awareness of P&I, what it covers and how it relates to the conduct and management of the ship
- Encourage communication between head office, ship staff and superintendents.