Risk Mitigation & Reporting Guidance for ships transiting Arabian Gulf, Straits of Hormuz and Gulf of Oman
Members will be aware of the heightened tensions in the Arabian Gulf due to recent attacks on ships near the Strait of Hormuz and the Sea of Oman.
- 12 May 2019 4 commercial ships were damaged off a tanker-refuelling hub in the United Arab Emirates (UAE)
- 13 June 2019 2 tankers were attacked in the Sea of Oman and suffered hull and fire damage.
- More recently on 19 July Iran seized a UK flagged ship
As a result, the industry has issued reporting guidance for ships transiting Arabian Gulf, Straits of Hormuz and Gulf of Oman.
To ensure the safety of all vessels and allow navies to afford best protection to global trade it is vital:
- Masters register with UKMTO when entering the Indian Ocean VRA (Ref C & D).
- Comply with Flag State Guidance.
- 24-48 hrs in advance - Masters provide transit plans for the SoH and AG to UKMTO including:
- Time of Entering/Exiting the SoH TSS.
- Outline of Navigation Plan whilst operating in SoH and AG.
- Any constraints or speed restrictions.
- Crew Nationality.
- CSO’s ensure all contact numbers for UKMTO and USNAVCENT NCAGS are correct.
- In the event of any incident or being concerned, Masters should call UKMTO immediately.
- Masters answer all VHF calls from coalition navies. Ch16 is becoming very busy, alternative channels will be offered.
- CSOs and Masters prepare, print and have available the correct response if called on VHF.
Members are also reminded of the risk mitigation measures as recommended in the Club’s update on Sea of Oman & Fujairah Attacks – Risk mitigation measures issued on 13th June 2019
37363 - SoH-Reporting-Guidance 262 KB
You may also be interested in:
Crew Changes - A Comprehensive Guide
We have been working with over 200 members of our correspondents network to produce a comprehensive document that outlines challenges and changes for crew changes in ports
Circular 07/22: Sanctions - The European Union’s 6th Sanctions Package - EU Regulation 833/2014– (the “Regulation”)
On the 3rd of June 2022 the EU published its 6th package of sanctions against Russia. This circular is not intended to be a comprehensive summary of the EU sanctions against Russia.
This circular informs Members of the approval by the International Group of P&I Clubs (the Group) of the IQAX eBL system.
The Club's Correspondent, Vitsan, has issued a Circular to advise Members of amendments and new provisions in the Turkish Environmental Law for Marine Pollution Incidents, published in the Official Gazette on 15 June 2022.