Risk Mitigation & Reporting Guidance for ships transiting Arabian Gulf, Straits of Hormuz and Gulf of Oman
Members will be aware of the heightened tensions in the Arabian Gulf due to recent attacks on ships near the Strait of Hormuz and the Sea of Oman.
- 12 May 2019 4 commercial ships were damaged off a tanker-refuelling hub in the United Arab Emirates (UAE)
- 13 June 2019 2 tankers were attacked in the Sea of Oman and suffered hull and fire damage.
- More recently on 19 July Iran seized a UK flagged ship
As a result, the industry has issued reporting guidance for ships transiting Arabian Gulf, Straits of Hormuz and Gulf of Oman.
To ensure the safety of all vessels and allow navies to afford best protection to global trade it is vital:
- Masters register with UKMTO when entering the Indian Ocean VRA (Ref C & D).
- Comply with Flag State Guidance.
- 24-48 hrs in advance - Masters provide transit plans for the SoH and AG to UKMTO including:
- Time of Entering/Exiting the SoH TSS.
- Outline of Navigation Plan whilst operating in SoH and AG.
- Any constraints or speed restrictions.
- Crew Nationality.
- CSO’s ensure all contact numbers for UKMTO and USNAVCENT NCAGS are correct.
- In the event of any incident or being concerned, Masters should call UKMTO immediately.
- Masters answer all VHF calls from coalition navies. Ch16 is becoming very busy, alternative channels will be offered.
- CSOs and Masters prepare, print and have available the correct response if called on VHF.
Members are also reminded of the risk mitigation measures as recommended in the Club’s update on Sea of Oman & Fujairah Attacks – Risk mitigation measures issued on 13th June 2019
37363 - SoH-Reporting-Guidance 262 KB
You may also be interested in:
UN High Seas Treaty
Two-thirds of the world's oceans lying beyond 200 nautical miles from the exclusive economic zones )"EEZ") of coastal countries are referred to as international waters or the 'high seas'
On 24 February 2023, the one year anniversary of Russia's invasion of Ukraine, the US Department of State and the US Department of Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) imposed sanctions on numerous additional individuals, entities and vessels that the US has determined are engaged in sanctions evasions.
US - EPA Reminder of VGP Requirements
The Club would like to draw Members’ attention to Enforcement Alert #310F22002 issued by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in January 2023
On 25 February 2023, the EU adopted its 10th package of sanctions against Russia