SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) Amendments
The International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) is an international maritime treaty which sets minimum safety standards in the construction, equipment and operation of merchant ships. This convention requires signatory flag states to ensure that ships flagged by them comply with at least these standards.
The current version of SOLAS is the 1974 version, known as SOLAS 1974, which came into force on 25 May 1980. As of November 2018, SOLAS 1974 had 164 contracting states, which flag about 99% of merchant ships around the world in terms of gross tonnage.
SOLAS in its successive forms is generally regarded as the most important of all international treaties concerning the safety of merchant ships.
Below is a list of recent SOLAS amendments:
- 1981 Amendments (steering gear) (MSC.2(XLV)) 1 September 1984
- 1988 (GMDSS Amendments) (Conference resolution) 1 February 1992
- Protocol of 1988 relating to the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea, 1974 (SOLAS PROT (HSSC) 1988) 3 February 2000
- 2000 (appendix to the Annex) Amendments (MSC.92(72)) 1 January 2002
- 2000 (appendix to the Annex) Amendments (MSC.100(73)) 1 July 2002
- 2002 Amendments (MSC.124(75)) Modifications and additions to the appendix to the annex to SOLAS, 1974 1 January 2004
- 2004 Amendments (MSC.154(78)) Modifications and additions to the appendix to the annex to SOLAS, 1974 [1 July 2006]
- 2004 Amendments (MSC.171(79)) Modifications and additions to the appendix to the annex to SOLAS, 1974 [1 July 2006]
- 2005 Amendments: Modifications and additions to chapter II- 1 (Parts A, B and B-1) [1 January 2007]
- 2006 Amendments (LRIT): A new regulation on LRIT in SOLAS, 1974, chapter V on Safety of Navigation [1 January 2008]
- 2006 Amendments: Modifications and additions to SOLAS, 1974, chapters II-2, III, IV, V [1 July 2010]
- 2006 Amendments: Modifications and additions to the International Code for Fire Safety Systems (FSS Code) [1 July 2010]
- 2006 Amendments: Modifications and additions to the International Life-Saving Appliance Code (LSA Code) [1 July 2010]
- 2006 Amendments: Modifications and additions to Guidelines for the authorizations acting on behalf of the Administration (Resolution A.739(18)) [1 July 2010]
- 2007 Amendments: Modifications and additions to SOLAS, 1974, chapters IV, VI and to the annex to the 1988 SOLAS Protocol [1 July 2009]
- 2008 Amendments: Modifications and additions to SOLAS, 1974, chapters II, VI, XI [1 January 2010]
- 2008 Amendments: Amendments to the SOLAS Convention and to the 1988 Load Lines Protocol to make mandatory the International Code on Intact Stability 2008 (IS Code) [1 July 2010]
- 2009 Amendments: Amendments to the SOLAS, 1974 regulation V/19 [1 January 2011]
For recent amendments to the SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) Convention 1974 see here.
You may also be interested in:
A Roadmap for Ship Decarbonisation
Global warming is one of the most severe and complex challenges our world faces today; there is an urgent need to reduce emission levels and avoid the most devastating impacts of climate change and every individual, business, and industry, including shipping, has a part to play.
Circular 09/22: EU Sanctions - clarification published on the carriage of certain Russian cargoes including coal and fertilisers
On 19 September 2022 the EU further amended its FAQS clarifying the application of provisions relating to the carriage of certain cargoes from Russia, including coal and other solid fossil fuels as well as certain types of fertilizer.
World Suicide Prevention Day
World Suicide Prevention Day is an important annual event to raise awareness of suicide